The association’s annual business meeting is held during the OSBA Capital Conference.
Each board of education is entitled to send one delegate to the Annual Business Meeting of the Ohio School Boards Association on Nov. 9. It is only through the collective insight and direction of our members that OSBA can speak as a unified voice for 712 school districts.
OSBA asks that your board make the selection of a delegate an agenda item at your next board meeting.
The appointment process is outlined below:
1. Schedule appointment of a delegate (and alternate) on the board agenda at the earliest possible time but no later than the August board meeting.
2. The delegate must be a current board member. (Superintendents and treasurers are not eligible.)
3. The delegate may represent only one board. (This applies to JVSD board members.)
4. Upon appointment of a delegate, please complete both copies of the Delegate Credentials and have them signed by the delegate, alternate and treasurer.
5. Mail the blue copy to OSBA as soon as possible and keep the yellow copy for your file. If the blue copy is not received by OSBA before Nov. 6, your delegate or alternate must appear before the Credentials Committee at the registration desk on Nov. 9.
6. Delegates must follow the same pre-registration procedure as all other conference attendees, including housing and registration.
7. Your delegate will receive his/her name badge, special event tickets and any other pertinent information in the pre-registration packet.
8. The delegate ribbon will be mailed directly to your delegate in October. The Delegate Handbook was emailed to delegates in October. Click to download the 2015 Delegate Handbook.
9. The delegate ribbon serves as the necessary credential for admission into the Annual Business Meeting. If your delegate loses or forgets his/her delegate ribbon, he/she will need to see the Credentials Committee for a replacement.
10. In the event your delegate cannot serve in November, the delegate should give the delegate ribbon to the alternate. It is not necessary to notify OSBA of this change.
11. The Business Meeting Briefing will be held on Monday, Nov. 9, at 8 a.m. in rooms C120-122. The briefing will provide an overview of the issues being presented at the Annual Business Meeting, along with an orientation session for first time delegates.
12. The Annual Business Meeting will be held on Monday, Nov. 9. Due to construction at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, the Annual Business Meeting will be held at 2:30 p.m. at the GCCC Terrace Ballroom.
In early October, all board members, superintendents and treasurers will receive a packet identified as Official Business. It will contain proposed amendments to the platform, constitutional changes and other pertinent information to come before the Delegate Assembly. It will contain the same essential information that will be mailed to delegates prior to the conference. Your board should plan to discuss this business at its October meeting.
If you have any questions about the registration process, the selection of your delegate or the agenda of the Annual Business Meeting, please call the OSBA offices at (800) 589-OSBA.