Annual Business Meeting of the OSBA Delegate Assembly
The association’s annual business meeting is held during the OSBA Capital Conference.
Each board of education is entitled to send one delegate to the Annual Business Meeting of the Ohio School Boards Association on Nov. 14. It is only through the collective insight and direction of our members that OSBA can speak as a unified voice for 710 school districts.
Tips for delegates
- Download the Annual Business Meeting of the OSBA Delegate Assembly Handbook, which will be available in October. Review the agenda, proposed changes to the OSBA legislative platform and other materials.
- Ensure you’re registered for the conference.
- Delegate ribbons will be given when you enter the Annual Business Meeting. As you enter, your badge will scanned to confirm your entry into the meeting. Once your badge is scanned, you will receive your delegate ribbon.
- Note the date and time of the Annual Business Meeting: Monday, Nov. 14, at 2:30 p.m. in the Union Station Ballroom at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
- Plan to attend the Briefing for the Annual Business meeting. Held prior to the Delegate Assembly, this briefing provides an overview of the issues that will be presented at the business meeting. The briefing is Monday, Nov. 14, at 8 a.m. in the Union Station Ballroom.
- After the meeting, publicize your contributions to your district and its students. Customize this press release to publicize your public education contributions and expertise to your district’s taxpayers.
Process to appoint a delegate
OSBA asks that your board make the selection of a delegate an agenda item at your next board meeting.
The appointment process is outlined below:
1. Schedule appointment of a delegate (and alternate) on the board agenda at the earliest possible time but no later than the August board meeting.
2. The delegate must be a current board member. (Superintendents and treasurers are not eligible.)
3. The delegate may represent only one board. (This applies to JVSD board members.)
4. Upon appointment of a delegate, please complete the 2022 Delegate Credentials and have them signed by the delegate, alternate and treasurer.
5. Email the form to Brendan Swartz (firstname.lastname@example.org) at OSBA as soon as possible and keep a copy for your records. If the form is not received by OSBA before Sept. 15, your delegate or alternate and treasurer must appear before the Credentials Committee at the registration desk on Nov. 14.
6. Delegates must follow the same pre-registration procedure as all other conference attendees, including housing and registration.
7. Your delegate will receive information on printing his or her name badge in the pre-attendee mailing. Additional information will be emailed to the delegates a few weeks prior to the Annual business Meeting. Name badges will be scanned, and delegate ribbons will be distributed at the Union Station Ballroom doors.
8. The 2022 Delegate Handbook will be emailed to delegates in October.
9. Delegates will receive their delegate ribbons when their badges are scanned to enter the Annual Business Meeting.
10. In the event your delegate cannot serve in November, the alternate should check in with OSBA staff at the table near the meeting entrance door before attempting to enter the meeting. Name badges will be scanned, and delegate ribbons will be distributed at the Union Station Ballroom doors.
11. The Business Meeting Briefing will be held on Monday, Nov. 14, at 8 a.m. in the Union Station Ballroom at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. The briefing will provide an overview of the issues being presented at the Annual Business Meeting, along with an orientation session for first time delegates.
12. The Annual Business Meeting will be held on Monday, Nov. 14, at 2:30 p.m. in the Union Station Ballroom at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
In early September, all board members, superintendents and treasurers will receive an email identified as 2022 Official Business. It contains proposed amendments to the platform, constitutional changes and other pertinent information to come before the Delegate Assembly. It will contain the same essential information that will be mailed to delegates prior to the conference. Your board should plan to discuss this business at its October meeting.
If you have any questions about the registration process, the selection of your delegate or the agenda of the Annual Business Meeting, please call the OSBA offices at (800) 589-OSBA.