Annual Business Meeting of the OSBA Delegate Assembly
The association’s annual business meeting is held during the OSBA Capital Conference.
Each board of education is entitled to send one delegate to the Annual Business Meeting of the Ohio School Boards Association on Nov. 13. It is only through the collective insight and direction of our members that OSBA can speak as a unified voice for 710 school districts.
Tips for delegates
- Download the Delegate Handbook, which will be available in October. Review the agenda, proposed changes to the OSBA legislative platform and other materials.
- Ensure you’re registered for the conference.
- Delegate ribbons will be given when you enter the Annual Business Meeting. As you enter, your badge will scanned to confirm your entry into the meeting. Once your badge is scanned, you will receive your delegate ribbon.
- Note the date and time of the Annual Business Meeting: Monday, Nov. 13, at 2:30 p.m. in the Union Station Ballroom at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
- A Business Meeting Briefing was held virtually on Nov. 2. The briefing provided an overview of the issues being presented at the annual business meeting, along with an orientation session. Click here to view a recording of the Briefing.
- After the meeting, publicize your contributions to your district and its students. Customize this press release to publicize your public education contributions and expertise to your district’s taxpayers.
Process to appoint a delegate
OSBA asks that your board make the selection of a delegate an agenda item at your next board meeting.
View a tutorial video on the new process to indicate your district’s delegate and alternate.
The appointment process is outlined below:
- Schedule the appointment of a delegate (and alternate) on the board agenda at the earliest possible time but no later than the August board meeting.
- The delegate must be a current board member. (Superintendents and treasurers are not eligible.)
- The delegate may represent only one board. (This applies to JVSD board members.)
- Upon appointment of a delegate, please log on to your district roster page by logging in at www.ohioschoolboards.org, then click “My Account,” then hover over your district box and click “Edit Roster.”
- Find the board members selected to serve as the delegate and alternate and ensure their email address is correct. If it needs to be updated, click “Edit” and update their email.
- Go back to your district page and find the “Delegate” box. Indicate your delegate and alternate. Upon submission, your delegate, alternate and you will receive email confirmations of their selection. No further action is required. You may go back in and edit your delegate/alternate at any time up to two hours before the business meeting.
- While we encourage and hope all delegates will also register to attend the capital conference, they do not have to register for the entire conference to participate. If your delegate is only planning on attending the delegate assembly, they will need to report to the registration desk the morning of the business meeting in order to receive a special “Delegate Only” badge that will allow them to enter the assembly hall.
- If your delegate is registered for conference, they will receive information on printing their name badge in a pre-attendee email. Additional information will be emailed to the delegates a few weeks prior to the annual business meeting.
- Delegate ribbons are the official credential and will be distributed to delegates at the Business Meeting door upon a successful check-in scan of their badge.
- The delegate book will be emailed to them in October.
- In the event your delegate cannot serve in November, please indicate a new delegate online using the process above or notify OSBA of this change so we may make the change for you.
- The Business Meeting Briefing will be held virtually prior to the conference. The briefing will provide an overview of the issues being presented at the annual business meeting, along with an orientation session. More information on this meeting will be sent to the delegates and alternates.
- The Annual Business Meeting will be held on Monday, Nov. 13, at 2:30 p.m. in the Union Station Ballroom at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
In early September, all board members will receive an email identified as 2023 Official Business. It contains proposed amendments to the platform, constitutional changes and other pertinent information to come before the Delegate Assembly. It will contain the same essential information that will be mailed to delegates prior to the conference. Your board should plan to discuss this business at its October meeting.
If you have any questions about the registration process, the selection of your delegate or the agenda of the Annual Business Meeting, please call the OSBA offices at (800) 589-OSBA.