Making the most of your conference experience
We’re excited to welcome attendees to the 2023 OSBA Capital Conference and Trade Show. Below are resources and tips to keep you updated and help you make the most of your time at the conference.
Planning your time
Use the following resources to plan your schedule:
- 2023 Capital Conference Planning Guide – Preview a schedule of the learning and Spotlight sessions offered during the conference and other tips to help you prepare for the conference. Mailed to attendees in early October
- Conference App – The OSBA Conference app includes the most up-to-date information about learning sessions, keynote speakers, the Student Achievement Fair, Trade Show exhibitors, maps, handouts and other helpful information. Users can create an account to use the app on multiple devices and create personalized schedules based on the sessions, exhibitors and events they wish to attend. Click the Login or Register button in the app’s menu, then create an account using your email address and a password you create. After your account is created, use the Login feature to view your personalized schedule and notes on any device. New this year, attendees can log in to the app to track their Certificate of Attendance credits and download their certificate.
- 2023 Capital Conference Guide – Available on-site at the Capital Conference, the Guide includes the complete listing of conference sessions, Trade Show exhibitors and on-site information. You can pick up a copy near Registration, the OSBA Pavilion or the Information Station. The Conference Addendum includes changes since the guide was printed.
- Check out the Conference FAQ for additional information.
- Delegates to the Annual Business Meeting of the OSBA Delegate Assembly can download the Delegate Handbook. View the delegate webpage for more information.
- Download handouts for the learning sessions the week before the conference. Note: The conference is paperless. You can access handouts through the Conference App or visit the handout page to print handouts before your arrive at the event.
Printing your conference badge
In late October, attendees will receive an email with a link to use to print their badge at their home or office prior to arriving at the conference. Attendees also can bring their registration sheet to the conference and use their badge QR code to print their badge from an on-site badge printing kiosk. Each attendee’s registration sheet also includes the ribbons they may have earned and the additional events they are registered for.
Before you arrive at the event
- Familiarize yourself with the program and plan which sessions you will attend. If there is more than one person from your district attending the conference, get together to coordinate your schedules to get the widest possible exposure to available programs.
- Make sure you have your all the necessary registration materials, hotel confirmation and plenty of paper to take notes.
- Delegates can review the delegate handbook and other tips to prepare for the Annual Business Meeting of the OSBA Delegate Assembly.
- Download handouts for the sessions you plan to attend. Note: The conference is paperless; printed handouts will not be provided. Handouts will be available in the Conference App or online beginning Nov. 8.
During the conference
- Take notes of the sessions you attend and exchange ideas with board members and administrators from other districts.
- Visit the Trade Show to learn about the latest in education-related goods and services. There’s sure to be some money-saving, value-added information to pick up from the more than 600 vendor booths.
- Actively participate in the sessions you attend.
- Keep a daily log of what you do; you’ll be surprised how much you’ve covered.
- If you use social media, share your thoughts and engage with other attendees on Twitter by using the conference hashtag, #OSBACC.
- Advise an OSBA staff member immediately of any problems. We want to do everything within our power to make this a highly productive meeting for everyone attending.
- Allow some time for rest and relaxation. The Student Achievement Fair, complete with student performance groups and artwork, is a great place to relax and learn about innovative programs at other school districts.
- Use the Capital Conference app or the Certificate of Attendance form to track your attendance at conference events. A Certificate of Attendance will be sent to all attendees who mark attendance at conference sessions and events in the Conference App. To record your sessions in the app, log in to the app and select the “check in” button for the sessions you attend. You can print a certificate of attendance from the app. You also can print 2023 Conference Attendance Certificate Form and drop it in the marked boxes at the event or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After the conference
- Send out news releases discussing the sessions you attended or participated in. For the most impact, include some personal impressions you had of the meeting in the form of a direct quote.
- Make sure you report on the conference at your next board meeting or write a summary of the meeting for board members and administrators who did not attend. Make sure that reporters, editors and news directors from the local media get copies.
- Publicize ways that the ideas you picked up at the conference will save your schools money, add to district efficiency and improve student achievement.
- Review your notes while they are still fresh and share the information, including handouts, you received with others in your district.
- Remember that planning for next year’s conference begins immediately after the event. If you have any suggestions, please share them with OSBA as soon as possible.